Welcome to Ascension Small Groups!
Many of the things that Christ calls us to as a church community simply can’t happen in our limited interaction on Sundays. We want to be involved in each other’s lives and encourage spiritual growth amid our day-to-day challenges, because relationships are where our faith plays out and where we are challenged to grow. To that end, we have a variety of small groups that meet during the week to provide more focused study, to deepen relationships within the church community, and to build one another up to strengthen us for ministry.
Ascension small groups follow the academic year with separate fall and spring sessions. Each group has 10-15 people and meets for 1 to 2 hours (depends on the group and time of day. Groups include elements of liturgy, Biblical study, sharing and prayer. Most groups facilitate social events and/or service projects as occasional supplements to the regular meeting time.
Participants sign-up for groups at the beginning of each term. If you are new to Ascension or missed the sign-ups, please contact the leader of the group you’re interested in to see if there is space available or contact Tim Haynes if you need help in finding a group that fits your interests, geography and schedule.
Ascension Small Groups - Fall 2014
Small groups for the fall start in the first or second week of September and we would love for you to be involved. If you want to grow as a person and as a Christian, join a small group.
- Sunday, 9–10:30 a.m. | Alexandria – Men and women alternate weeks and leadership is shared across several members of the group. Location changes weekly, but is usually within the Del Ray area of Alexandria. Large family gatherings occur a few times per semester. Contact Becca Hall for details.
- Tuesday, 6 a.m. | Alexandria – Men’s group meets for 45-60 minutes. Mike Richardson and Charley Sabatier lead and will be studying Romans throughout the fall. Contact Mike Richardson for details.
- Tuesday, 7:30–9 p.m. | Falls Church – Meets most weeks at the Laushkin home for a study of prayer and how it plays out in the Christian life. Alexei Laushkin and Randy Wilcox lead. Contact Marisa Beck for details.
- Wednesday, 10–11:30 a.m. | Arlington – Women’s group meets at the church, child care is provided. This fall, the group will study Eugene Peterson’s A Long Obedience in the Same Direction. Michelle Griffith leads, and can be contacted for details.
- Wednesday, 7:30–9 p.m. | Alexandria – Meets in Del Ray, primarily at the Cullum home. Focus is on liturgy, scripture and prayer. Josh Cullum and Tim Haynes lead. Contact Tim Haynes for details.
- Thursday, 7:30–9 p.m. |Arlington – Alternates locations in Central Arlington and leadership is shared by several members of the group. Focus is on liturgy, scripture and prayer. Contact Kelly Barrow for details.
You can contact the small group directly or reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or for help in finding an appropriate group.