Welcome to Ascension Small Groups!
Many of the things that Christ calls us to as a church community simply can’t happen in our limited interaction on Sundays. We want to be involved in each other’s lives and encourage spiritual growth amid our day-to-day challenges, because relationships are where our faith plays out and where we are challenged to grow. To that end, we have a variety of small groups that meet during the week to provide more focused study, to deepen relationships within the church community, and to build one another up to strengthen us for ministry.
Ascension small groups follow the academic year with separate fall and spring sessions. Each group has 10-15 people and meets for 1 to 2 hours (depends on the group and time of day. Groups include elements of liturgy, Biblical study, sharing and prayer. Most groups facilitate social events and/or service projects as occasional supplements to the regular meeting time.
Participants sign-up for groups at the beginning of each term. If you are new to Ascension or missed the sign-ups, please contact the leader of the group you’re interested in to see if there is space available or contact Tim Haynes if you need help in finding a group that fits your interests, geography and schedule.
Ascension Small Groups - Spring 2015
Small groups for the spring start in the third or fourth week of January and we would love for you to be involved. If you want to grow as a person and as a Christian, join a small group.
- Sunday, 9–10:30 a.m. | Alexandria: Men and women alternate weeks and groups are led by Jace and Elizabeth Yarbrough, respectively. Location changes weekly, but is usually in or near the Del Ray area of Alexandria. Large family gatherings occur a few times throughout the year. First gathering is of the women on Jan. 18. Contact Becca Hall for details.
- Tuesday, 7:30–9 p.m. | Falls Church: Meets weekly at the Laushkin home for a study and prayer. Content for spring to be finalized at first group meeting. Group begins on Jan. 13. Alexei Laushkin and Randy Wilcox lead. Contact Becky Weber for details.
- Wednesday, 6:15 a.m. | Alexandria Men’s group: The men’s group meets for 45-60 minutes. Mike Richardson and Charley Sabatier lead and will use the Ascension devotional booklet and discuss the gospel of Mark throughout the spring. Contact Mike Richardson for details.
- Wednesday, 6:00 a.m. | Falls Church – Women’s group: This women’s group meets for 60 minutes two Wednesdays per month over coffee/breakfast at a Falls church restaurant. Angela Weston leads and the group will begin on Jan. 21. Contact Angela Weston for details.
- Wednesday, 10–11:30 a.m. | Arlington – Women’s group: This women’s group meets at the church, child care is provided. The group will begin the spring finishing a study of Eugene Peterson’s A Long Obedience in the Same Direction, then transition to another book. Group is under way for the semester. Michelle Griffith leads and can be contacted for details.
- Thursday, 7:30–9 p.m. | Alexandria: Meets in Del Ray, primarily at the Cullum home. Focus is on liturgy, scripture and prayer. Josh Cullum and Tim Haynes lead. Group begins on Jan. 22. Contact Tim Haynes for details.
- Thursday, 7:30–9 p.m. |Arlington: Alternates locations in Central Arlington and leadership is shared by several members of the group. Focus is on liturgy, scripture and prayer. Group begins on Jan. 22. Contact Kelly Barrow for details.
You can contact the small group directly or reach out to email@example.com with any questions or for help in finding an appropriate group.